Monday, April 19, 2010

Peanut Butter


"Listen science, your attempts to discover the awesome, mysterious forces that formed and continue to shape our universe have nothing to do with religion. Keep your 'hard evidence' chocolate out of our 'personal faith' peanut butter. God found Adam under a cabbage leaf. Read the bible." -Stephen Colbert

Nothing against chocolate, it does serve its purpose from time to time. But if treats had an aura or character about them, chocolate would definitely be the deceiver. Something sneaky and sly, out to get ya.

Peanut butter on the other hand would have a peaceful mellow aura about it. Perhaps I am bias though, I am somewhat of a peanut butter connoisseur, or addict, perhaps both. And despite the many moments I've delighted myself with a mouthful of Extra Crunchy JIF, I hadn't become curious as to the origins of this ever palate fulfilling food paste. Until this morning.

To my surprise, evidence of the first peanuts being mashed to become a pasty substance dates back hundreds of years ago and is linked to the Aztecs.

Growing up in a traditionally Mexican household, peanut butter was a foreign food in the kitchen. Well at least that's what I thought, after this morning, I've found a cultural connection, or perhaps, just a loosely manipulated link that I will now employ to please and justify my cravings.


1 comment:

  1. Metaphysical discussion of peanut butter. That's a first for this class.

    ReplyDelete